Monday, August 6, 2007

What Is Your Work?

Saturday night.

*****

Its cool, its cool here inside Tania's cottage. Everybody's drinking beer and that tequila thing. Of all the people there, only three of us do not smoke. And I'm the only one who did not study nursing. Good thing.

Everybody's trying to catch up with everybody, and when it came down to me, there was the inevitable conversation...

"Ano nang trabaho mo?" someone asks.
"Wala pa nga eh." I say.
"Kala ko ba magtuturo ka na sa Sacred Heart?" another asks.
"Hindi nga ako natanggap kasi preferred ngayon ang may LET or MA." I verified.
"Dyan kaya sa McDo, naghahanap sila ng manager." someone suggested.
"Alam nyo naman na tinanggihan ko na nga yun. Ayoko ng ganung trabaho." I scoffed.

So on and so forth.

These friends of mine. They should've known better. My work? My type of work? Why ask me, when I am here, drinking so little, chatting, listening, wiping my teary eyes because everybody within two-feet radius of mine smokes? Why ask me if they get the same answers, my theme of not working for companies but FOR people?

Are all of my friends morons?

It even got to the point that I was gesturing extensively and raising my voice. Then some smart aleck in our group told me I was too picky on choosing my job. He did not italicized it but I will do here: picky. And I told them that I REALLY AM. Is this topic too much for the likes of them to figure the fucking thing out? Is it really that hard to understand my alternative views on such matters? I don't think so, given their degree of intelligence and IQ scores (as a lot of you know, above average grades are required for their course). They are just static, they think about things with their dreams, goals and frustrations, not with their already stagnant minds.

Same shit, they always try to equate happiness, fulfillment and success in terms of the sheer amount of material goods that they hopefully are to consume with their money, money earned from jobs and NOT careers. And worse, they try to hit me with their version of liberal or free thinking: "E ganun ang tingin namin e, anong pakialam mo? Bahala kami sa gagawin sa buhay namin."

Fuck. They don't realize that by thinking this way they are not free. That it doesn't mean that freedom is concerned by spending money on ALL things imaginable. The geist is this: by behaving as such, one is ENSLAVED by material goods, not the other way around.

And he smokes. That fool smokes. He's put on the freak suit now. Good fucking god no he does now. Another one about this next time.

*****

Adieu

No comments: